Abama Golf will host the WCGC Sports Legends Cup 2022, a tournament parallel to the World Corporate Golf Challenge World Final, where all guests will have the opportunity to play a round of golf alongside great legends of the sport. We spoke to Brendan Breen, Director of Abama Golf, about what else can be found throughout the resort.
Brendan Breen, Director of Abama Golf
- This will be WCGC’s first time in Tenerife; what can guests expect at the World Finals?
Seen as it is the 1st time the finals will be held in Tenerife, the participants will be pleasantly surprised with the quality of the destination, hotels, golf courses and gastronomy. Both the hotel and the golf courses will live up to the high standards normally expected by the organisers and participants of this prestigious event
- Abama Golf will host the WCGC Sports Legends Cup competition; what difficulties can all participants find on the course?
Abama Golf is by no means an easy course and would be considered to be one of the best courses in the Canary Islands and among the top 20 in Spain. The course was designed by Dave Thomas and his concept for the design was to create the «Augusta» of Europe. The greens are fast and undulating and there are 22 lakes strategically located around the course. The participants will be impressed with the views of the Atlantic Ocean from nearly every hole on the course.
- Abama Golf is considered one of the best courses in Europe; what do you think is its main attraction?
Its main attraction are the breathtaking views one can enjoy whilst trying to master the complicated greens. The course rises to 315 meters above sea level and besides the ocean views, players can enjoy the views of the islands of La Gomera, La Palma and El Hierro.
- It also has a fantastic hotel complex, luxury villas, and Michelin-starred restaurants such as Martín Berasategui and Kabuki… How does golf fit in with the rest of what Abama offers?
The Abama Golf course forms an integral part of the Abama Resort, which, as you mention, has 5* hotels, Michelin star restaurants, a secluded beach, an International Golf and Tennis Academy, a Kids Camp for children and Luxury Residential Villas and Suites. Many of our guests (couples and families) who stay with us can enjoy these 5-star facilities and expect that the golf course meets the standard of the rest of the resort, which is why we have many repeating guests year after year.
- Apart from golf and tennis… what other sporting activities does Abama have to offer?
At our Abama Tennis Academy facility, we also have 4 Padel courts which are now becoming a trendy sport in Europe. We offer cyclists the possibility of staying at our suite hotel Las Terrazas de Abama, where we provide a secured bike and repair facility for those who travel with their professional bikes. We also offer Wellness/Yoga classes and the possibility to book a private catamaran or a group excursion for sea lovers.
- Sustainable tourism is one of the most attractive ways for the island’s economy; what is Abama’s development plan to meet its objectives?
Abama Golf is very dedicated to Sustainability, and the golf course has been certified with the ISO:14001 certificate and is the 1st course in the Canary Islands with the EMAS certificate. Our Greenkeeper has developed and produced some non-chemical insecticides for maintaining the course. The water we use on the golf course and in the resort is delivered from our own desalinated plant, contributing to a more sustainable environmental practice.